Truck Insurance

Online quote now

Avis Insurance offers commercial truck insurance that is ideal for businesses and owner drivers operating HGVs for Haulage or Own Goods. We can insure virtually any kind of HGV, from a skip lorry right up to a 150-tonne GVW vehicle carrying wind turbines, and if you have two or more vehicles (including vans and cars), then a fleet insurance policy could be a cheaper solution. 

If you operate any of the types of vehicles listed below and you are looking to save money on your commercial truck insurance, speak to us.

An advantage of an individual truck insurance policy is that each vehicle has its own no claims discount – meaning that your other lorries aren’t penalised should one of them be involved in an accident. 

With over 40 years' experience of arranging truck insurance we’re confident that we not only have the expertise to find the exact cover you require, but that our knowledge of the market means we can bring it to you at the very best price.

For a competitive truck insurance quote give our friendly team a call and get straight through to a specialist who has an in-depth understanding of the truck and haulage insurance market.

  • Articulated Lorries (including trailer cover if required)
  • Rigid Lorries
  • Tankers
  • Tippers
  • Flatbed Trucks (including crane if required)
  • Bulk Carriers
  • Concrete Mixers
  • Dustcarts
  • Skip Lorries
  • Refrigerated Lorries
  • Livestock Lorries
  • Virtually any truck over 7.5 tonnes
  • Vans

Truck Insurance from 7.5 tonnes to 150 tonnes

Flexible Payment Options Available                                                                                                                   

Online quote now
  • Partnerships with the top truck insurance companies in the UK
  • New ventures as well as established companies very welcome
  • Insurance cover for lorries with a gross vehicle weight of between 7.5 and 150 tonnes
  • Truck fleet insurance cover available for 2 or more vehicles
  • Like-for-Like replacement vehicle whilst yours is off the road following a non-fault accident with Legal Protection cover
  • All types of cover: Comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, or third party only
  • All the documents you need delivered promptly
  • Spread the cost - pay in 10 instalments
  • Goods in transit, liability cover and breakdown cover also available

Avis Insurance will also transfer your no claims bonus. Alternatively, if you’ve earned that no claims bonus on another vehicle but don’t want to transfer it, then subject to underwriting criteria we can offer introductory discounts.

In addition to truck insurance there may be occasions where you need extra cover, maybe to meet the terms of a contract or simply for the peace of mind of knowing that you and your business are always fully protected. Avis Insurance offers the following optional cover:

HGV Breakdown Cover

An out of action lorry means lost business so our comprehensive breakdown cover from National Breakdown is there to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

Goods in Transit

When carrying others goods and cargo it is vital that those items are protected against any kind of loss, damage or theft. Our goods in transit insurance gives you that peace of mind.

Excess Protection

Excess protection insurance covers you against the cost of your insurance excess should you need to make a claim as a result of a fault accident. A choice of indemnity levels mean you can easily select the right protection for your needs.

Liability Insurance

Every business should have at least a basic liability insurance policy to avoid putting the business at risk. We understand this and work with the UK’s leading insurers to ensure you get the most suitable policy for your HGV or lorry business.

What is an HGV insurance policy?

Our HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) insurance covers vehicles with a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of over 7.5 Tonne up to 150 Tonnes. Various cover levels are available ranging from fully comprehensive cover down to third party only cover.

Do I need an operator's licence?

You will need an Operator's Licence if your business uses goods vehicles above 3.5 tonnes. There are certain exemptions so if you are unsure please check the VOSA website here. Please bear in mind that it takes on average three months to get your operator's licence so apply as soon as possible. We can offer restricted cover as soon as you make your application and full cover once the licence or an interim licence has been issued.

Do you provide truck insurance for a new venture?

Yes, we offer cover for new ventures and also for people who have only recently obtained the appropriate HGV licence. New ventures can often obtain an introductory discount in order to make the cost of starting a new venture more affordable.

 I am starting a new company and have previous experience. Do you offer truck insurance that reflects this?

Yes, large discounts can be offered where proof of experience and claim-free driving can be provided.

Do you offer truck fleet insurance?

Yes, and there is a minimum requirement of only two vehicles to qualify. We have a panel of insurers who will take on new fleets of HGV’s as well as existing.

Will my policy restrict what I can use my truck for?

Most heavy goods vehicles are used for haulage or delivery services, but we understand that everybody's needs are different.

Our team will find the cheapest truck insurance premium whether you use the vehicle for carriage of own goods or for haulage.

Do you offer cover for Lorries carrying hazardous goods?

We can arrange cover for certain categories of hazardous goods. Please contact us with details, and we will refer to our specialist underwriters on your behalf.

What are your weight limitations?

We can provide cover for vehicles with a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of over 7.5 Tonnes and up to 44 Tonnes. In certain circumstances, we can offer cover for vehicles right up to 85 Tonnes!

Who is able to drive my HGV?

We offer cover for drivers aged 25-65 providing the correct licence is held to drive the insured vehicle. Younger drivers can be sometimes be covered - please contact us.

Can I take my truck into Europe?

Yes, we can provide annual green card cover within the EU

What types of goods will my policy allow me to carry?

Typically, HGV insurance policies allow for the carriage of most goods, with the exception of hazardous items. If you require cover for carrying hazardous items please get in touch and we’ll see if we can provide a suitable policy.

Will I get a like-for-like replacement vehicle in the event of an accident?

Our optional legal protection policy, as well as providing a valuable claims management service, will provide a vehicle of similar type and size if you’re involved in a non-fault accident (subject to availability).

What duration of cover can you arrange?

All of our HGV insurance policies run for a 12-month period.

 Do I need Employers Liability insurance?

Employers Liability insurance is compulsory if you have employees. It enables the employer to meet the cost of compensation should injuries or illness to employees occur as a result of their job.

 What level of goods in transit cover do I require?

We offer competitive cover based on RHA conditions of Carriage, CMR or All Risks. Please feel free to discuss your requirements with us.

What our clients say

The best deal for our insurance coverage. Many thanks, and keep up the amazing service!  MID Transport Ltd

Really easy process, really good service.  MJB Transport Services Ltd

Top-class service from Avis, 100% recommended!  X Transport Ltd

Great to deal with. McGill Transport Ltd

Speak to our friendly, knowledgeable team today and let us find you the most competitive Lorry insurance, Truck Fleet insurance, road haulage insurance, commercial vehicle insurance, Goods-in-Transit and Public & Employers’ Liability available anywhere on the market! Enter your number, and one of our friendly team will give you a call.

Name Phone Product How did you hear about us?

Thank you

We’ll be in touch soon

A few of our insurance providers