Truck Insurance Guide

My Insurance Cover

How you are carrying your goods determines what HGV insurance cover you will require:

  • Carriage of Own Goods Insurance – for the carriage of your business goods only, and a typical example is a Groundworker or scaffolder.
  • Haulage Insurance (Carriage of Goods For Hire and Reward) – this cover will be required if you are charging to deliver someone else’s goods.

HGV Insurance follows the traditional types of cover of Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party Only. Comprehensive and Third Party Fire & Theft policies will carry an excess – the first part of any insurance claim that you are responsible for. Typically the excess is £500. Cover can be arranged for all types of policyholders, which include sole proprietors, partnerships, limited companies, charities and other organisations.

Do I need an Operator's Licence?

You will need an Operator's Licence if your business uses goods vehicles above 3.5 tonnes. There are certain exemptions, so if you are unsure, you can check the VOSA website here. Please bear in mind that it takes, on average, three months to get your operator's licence, so apply as soon as possible. We can offer restricted cover as soon as you make your application and full cover once the licence or an interim licence has been issued.

Who Can Drive on My Truck Insurance Policy?

Our policies aim to keep you moving, and we can accommodate most drivers over 25, subject to the usual underwriting criteria. We can also usually cover drivers under 25, depending on the size of the vehicle and how long they have held the relevant HGV licence. Generous discounts are given where there is only one driver or named drivers over 25. That said, it is usually better to arrange an 'Any Driver' policy where your drivers are subject to frequent change. Please bear in mind, though, that even with 'Any Driver' policies, you must check and advise us of the claims and conviction history of all drivers.

I’ve had a Truck Insurance Policy for many years but still want to reduce my HGV insurance premium

We have been active in the HGV Insurance market for 40 years. There are many schemes with insurers and brokers that will give no more than a 40% No Claims Discount if you have over five years claim claim-free insurance. We have schemes with many large insurers who offer No Claims Discount entitlement up to 60%. We constantly perform market exercises, making us aware of our competition, thereby ensuring that we remain competitive.

I want to start a Haulage business – how do I get a good deal on my Truck Insurance?

We understand that a huge cost when starting your haulage business will be your haulage insurance. Earned no-claims discount is usually a large factor of consideration with HGV insurance companies. We do not believe in penalising an experienced lorry driver for not earning a No Claims Discount. We have negotiated huge introductory discounts from many of our insurance partners and pass these incredible discounts on to our customers. For example:

  • we can give an Introductory No Claims Discount if you are an experienced lorry driver
  • we can give an Introductory No Claims Discount if you have another lorry being insured elsewhere
  • we can give an Introductory No Claims Discount if you have experience driving for a previous employer

I may need to deliver goods into Europe

UK Truck Insurance is the standard contract. However, it is becoming more regular that foreign use insurance is required. Temporary foreign use insurance to European countries can be easily issued with a Green card extension. If regular foreign use travel occurs, then we can easily provide Annual cover for European HGV insurance by issuing an Annual Green Card.

I’m expanding my business and want more HGV vehicles

We are a specialist truck insurance broker and have access to many Haulage Insurance and Fleet Insurance markets. Our typical truck insurance policy covers one vehicle. If you have more than one vehicle, then we can offer you a Fleet policy at even lower rates.

Types of Commercial Truck Insurance policyholders

The majority of HGV Insurance policyholders are Haulage Contractors with policy terms of Carriage of Goods for Hire and Reward. There are also many Own Goods Operators options, for example, Landscape Gardeners, Scaffolders and Groundworkers. Obtaining Competitive quotes for Skip Lorry Insurance can be difficult, however, as a specialist in this area Avis insurance is able to offer competitive premiums for both Skip Lorry and Skip Liability Insurance (a legal requirement if you leave your skips on the public highway).

Can I Include Vans and Cars on my Fleet Policy as well?

Yes, most Fleet Insurance policies allow cars and vans (and special-type vehicles) to be included, subject to the usual underwriting criteria.

What else will I need?

Breakdown Cover: An out-of-action lorry means lost business, so our comprehensive breakdown cover is there to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

Goods in Transit Insurance is usually a must for all policyholders. We have facilities with large insurance companies and can offer all types of Goods In Transit Insurance. For example, Goods In Transit All Risks cover up to any specified amount, GIT Insurance with RHA conditions of carriage, and CMR cover for all types of goods. We can offer this for individual HGVs and also multiple vehicles. UK and EU use can also be offered.

Legal Protection Cover: This is a very useful (and inexpensive) add-on to any policy. In the event of a non-fault accident, your Legal Protection insurers would provide, free of charge, legal help and cover solicitor’s fees to assist you in claiming back any uninsured losses, such as policy excess, loss of earnings, and claims for any injuries sustained. They could also provide you with a replacement like-for-like vehicle whilst yours is being repaired.

Public Liability Insurance: This type of insurance is there to protect you in the event of a claim if you are legally responsible for damage to third-party property or injuries to other people. It provides peace of mind at relatively little cost.

Employers Liability Insurance: If you have employees, then you are legally obliged to hold this cover. It insures you up to £10 million for claims made against you by employees for work-related injuries

* Quite often, Public and Employer’s Liability cover can be combined within your Goods-in-Transit policy, thus saving you time and money. Of course, if yours is a more complex risk, then cover can be arranged separately.

Call us on 01628 662666 for a quote, or Click here and we’ll contact you.

Services for British mainland-based residents and businesses only

What our clients say

The best deal for our insurance coverage. Many thanks, and keep up the amazing service!  MID Transport Ltd

You have been so helpful and made the whole process smooth and worry-free. I can't thank you enough for getting everything sorted in such a short space of time.  Ben Jones

10/10 service, would highly, highly recommend!  S Nisbet Logistics Ltd

Top-class service from Avis, 100% recommended!  X Transport Ltd

Speak to our friendly, knowledgeable team today and let us find you the most competitive Lorry insurance, Truck Fleet insurance, road haulage insurance, commercial vehicle insurance, Goods-in-Transit and Public & Employers’ Liability available anywhere on the market! Enter your number, and one of our friendly team will give you a call.

Name Phone Product How did you hear about us?

Thank you

We’ll be in touch soon

A few of our insurance providers